Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shitake Mushroom Seviche, Sesame Kelp Noodles & Crab

When I ordered kelp noodles my husband was not shy to say that there was  no chance that he'd be sharing them with me.  Most people would just accept this, I of course saw it as a challenge.  And I'm proud to say that last night he actually ate and, more importantly, enjoyed kelp noodles.

Shitake Mushroom Seviche - my version of Matt Kenny's recipe

1 big bag of fresh shitake mushrooms sliced thin
1/2 red onion sliced thin
1 clove garlic

5 oranges juiced
3 limes juiced
1 habanero pepper seeded and sliced
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place all ingredients above in a bowl and set aside for 1-2 hours
Garnish with Avocado, Cilantro & a Lime Wheel

Sesame Kelp Noodles

1 bag of kelp noodles
1 bag baby spinach ripped into large chunks
2 hand full oyster mushrooms chopped
1/4 red onion sliced
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 tablespoons Nama Shoyu
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
4 plumb tomatoes seeded and chopped
salt & pepper

Crab

fresh crab meat with lemon juice

2 comments:

  1. That dinner was amazing!!!!

    Love,
    Your pleasantly surprised-how-good-kelp-noodles-are Husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know I strongly dislike kelp noodles but I will admit of all the of kelp dishes I've had (and unfortunately I've had several) this dish was light years better than the rest! Bravo. I think it really comes down to the sauce you made, very nice balance of flavor. Also the mushrooms were awesome!

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete